1. Licensing in standard configurations
1.1. Licensing per Image Generator
In a networked environment, the licensing still works per Image Generator. This means, that each IG needs a license according to its number of connected projectors. If a dedicated master is used to handle all IGs in such a network, this master PC requires a master license).
In this example, the system requires:
1x VIOSO Anyblend VR&SIM Master
1x VIOSO Anyblend VR&SIM Dual
1x VIOSO Anyblend VR&SIM Single
A license is stored in a license container that is connected with a specific PC. The license contains the number of channels, which represents the maximum number of projectors that can be calibrated from this PC.
1.2. There are two ways of license containers:
- PC-Locked serial: The license comes as a serial key, that is activated on a specific PC. For the activation procedure, internet connection is required. Once activated, the serial key cannot be used on any other PC. The main benefit of a PC-locked license is the instant delivery to the end customers PC.
- USB dongle: The license is stored on a USB key. VIOSO software solutions are operational as long as the USB key is inserted. The main benefit of a USB dongle is that multiple PCs can share the same licensing, though only one PC can be run a VIOSO solution at the same time. In the example above the master and each IG require either a dedicated serial or a dedicated USB key to store their license.
1.3. More answers:
- Is it possible to pool licenses on the master (no licensing of the individual IGs)?
- No, in the standard configuration each IG needs to carry an own licensing.
- Is it possible to transfer a PC-locked license to another PC?
- Yes, see here: License Transfer VIOSO Anyblend
- But it is not possible to swap licenses during a calibration, so this is not meant to be used for sharing/pooling licenses.
- Can multiple USB keys used, adding their channels?
- No. Only one USB key is detected at the same time.
2. VIOSO Anyblend VR&SIM – Abstract Display Configuration
2.1. Licensing executed on a Master IG only
There is a way to centralize the licensing on one IG (usually referred as a “Master”). In this scenario, there is only one license container required that hosts all required channels. IGs are licensed with a 0-licence, that comes without costs. Please note, that there is NO dedicated master license required for this scenario.
In this example, the system requires:
1x VIOSO Anyblend VR&SIM Triple
All licensing is stored in a license container that is connected with the PC that acts as the calibration master. The license contains the number of all required channels for the total system. Please note, that the master CAN be a dedicated device, but can be also one of the IGs. In both scenarios, the licensing costs are identical.
2.2. There are two ways of license containers as well:
- PC-Locked serial: The license comes as a serial key, that is activated on the IG that acts as the calibration master. For the activation procedure, internet connection is required. Once activated, the serial key cannot be used on any other PC. All other IGs use a 0-license, that requires neither a serial key nor any activation. The main benefit is a most easy rollout and easy replacement of IGs.
- USB dongle: The license is stored on a USB key which needs to be inserted into the IG that acts as calibration master. All other IGs use a 0-license, that require no USB key or anything else in terms of license management. In the example above the master requires one VIOSO Anyblend Triple license and each IG use a 0-license that comes free of charge.
2.3. more answers:
- Is it possible to switch from “Standard” to “Abstract display” licensing?
- Not that easy.
- First of all the current licensing scheme must be evaluated (how many IGs, how many PCs per IGs, what licensing containers used, etc.) and the existing licenses must be revoked and replaced with a new license that carries all required channels in a single license container.
- Second, the Anyblend VR&SIM calibration must be reconfigured to use abstract displays. This requires also to adapt scripts and export settings. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to evaluate the required steps for your specific project.
- Finally, a new calibration from scratch is required since the system configuration has changes fundamentally. Some work from the previous calibration can be re-used (e.g. masks, mapping, etc.) but consider a noticeable amount of work required to re-create the system behavior. Again, contact email@example.com with as many details as possible.